[webkit-dev] High Resolution Timer API proposal(s)

Peter Kasting pkasting at chromium.org
Fri Oct 3 10:36:50 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Justin Haygood <jhaygood at reaktix.com>wrote:

>  I'd say define it as a minimum precision of 1ms, but browser
> manufacturers can define any precision they wish.

OK, but that only pushes the problem space outward rather than solving it.
 Make CPUs 10x faster and then have one browser with a floor of 1 ms and one
with 0.1 ms and you have the exact scenario we're in today.  Someone writes
a tight loop in the 1 ms browser, checks that it doesn't use too much CPU,
and pushes the build, and the 0.1 ms browser gets hosed.

I admit that this one worries me a bit.

PK