[webkit-dev] Database Storage

Loll passport at thedaisypatch.net
Thu Oct 2 17:45:49 PDT 2008

Hi,

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not, so im sorry
in advance if it is.

I am interested in the database Storage that is now available through
webkit and had a few questions about it.

My main point of interest is in the security of it. Right now, the
website I develop uses PHP and information is stored using PHP
sessions. From a servers point of view I can see a lot of advantages
of storing such data locally. For one thing , its lot less reads and
writes to the server, making it a bit faster I would expect.

But how secure is the data? is it secure enough to reliably put such
info on a clients system? Im not talking about bank data here, but I
am looking at data that I would not want to be altered or viewed in
its raw format all the same.

Is it safe to assume that no one is going to get into it , any more
than its safe to assume that no one is going to hijack a PHP Session
to gain access to the same data?

Anyway I just wondered if was a good idea to think about moving in the
direction of local storage vs server storage and what level of data
should be safely stored that way, vs what shouldn't be stored that way.

Thanks

Loll