[webkit-dev] Using Google-URL in WebKit

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Thu Oct 2 16:42:13 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:

> KURL  depends on WebCore types, and was
>> found to have bugs, so Brett did a study of other URL parsers and
>> wrote the Google URL library as a template library (and wrote GURL as
>> an example class using it with std::string).
>>

> This part I don't get. Brett found some bugs. Why didn't he fix them? Did
> he file them, at least? Isn't that what participating in an open source
> project is all about?
>
> If Brett finds some bugs in layout and rendering, is head going to write a
> GCSS?

I explained this on #webkit, but since that was easy to miss... we did not
build GoogleURL because we thought KURL was buggy.  We built GoogleURL
because we needed to have consistent URL parsing and canonicalization
throughout our entire application, including our network stack, download
manager, and user interface.  It was not until later that we went the full
distance and wrote GKURL (again because we wanted to have consistent URL
parsing and canonicalization throughout our entire application).  We did our
best to make GoogleURL match the quirks of Internet Explorer except in
places where that did not make sense.  Some of those behaviors may be
interesting or may even be regarded as good RFE bugs for KURL, but they are
not the reasons for GoogleURL's existence.

-Darin