[webkit-dev] Using Google-URL in WebKit

David Hyatt hyatt at apple.com
Thu Oct 2 15:43:53 PDT 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 5:35 PM, Darin Fisher wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:27 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>

> >> I have mentioned optionally replacing KURL with an ifdef to a
> number
> >> of WebKit members. The reception has been tentatively yes.
> >
> > As one of the people who were asked and tentatively said yes,
>
> I am strongly against integration of GURL behind KURL.  This code is
> simple, and there's no reason to complicate it like this.  Any port
> should be able to use KURL as is and just translate at boundaries
> (like the existing Mac port does).  I don't think there should be any
> major issues with this approach, and the alternative is to place a
> burden on WebKit as far as having to maintain a now needlessly
> complicated KURL class.
>

> Hi Dave,
>
> Please see my comments on this thread.  Summarizing:  The code for
> correct and complete URL parsing / canonicalization is non-trivial
> and in many cases extremely subtle.  It is important to Chromium to
> use consistent URL handling across the entire application.  For
> example, our network stack depends on GoogleURL.  We have strong
> desire to share the same URL handling code with WebCore so that we
> achieve consistency, avoiding both correctness and security bugs.
> It would be awkward to have our otherwise independent network stack
> suddenly depend on WebCore.
>
> All we are asking for is to add a couple #ifdefs to KURL.h so that
> we do not have to maintain a fork.  Is that really so hard to
> maintain going forward?  We are happy to do all of the work to
> maintain it.

I would be ok with this if you don't place a burden on the other five
ports to keep your version of KURL working.  In other words, if the
API for KURL needs to be changed, it would be Google's responsibility
to keep their GURL-backed version working.  That means checkins to
KURL to change the API could break you going forward.  If you are ok
with this, then I am ok with this.

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)