[webkit-dev] setTimeout as browser speed throttle

Gustavo Noronha Silva gns at gnome.org
Wed Oct 1 12:15:59 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 10:47 -0700, Peter Kasting wrote:

> Your comment in that bug was that it was 3.7% of CPU on your machine.
>  3.7% for "as fast as possible" doesn't seem like a huge burden.  That
> suggests authors could write tight loops at 3ms delays and still only
> burn 10% of the CPU.  I think that's a reasonable proposal.

I would rather not have my CPU burning at 10% if I'm running on battery.
Even waking up the processor that many times sound bad enough. Perhaps
allow the application to set the clamp (or a higher level policy) would
do good for cases in which power saving is being considered critical?

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org>
GNOME contributor: http://www.gnome.org/