[webkit-dev] Cairo Port

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 17:28:56 PST 2008

Hi Arvid,

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Arvid Ephraim Picciani
<aep at asgaartech.com> wrote:
> When googling I found references to a cairo port of webkit.  I checked svn but
> only could find a gtk port.  Am i missing something?
> Cairo is fairly portable, while GTK  is not.  If there is no pure cairo port
> and there are no plans to make one either,  how time consuming is writing a
> new port? I read webkit is supposed to be very portable.  Is the port API
> stable or does it require constant maintainance?
> thank you.

The Cairo port (as I have put it together) is really nothing more than
the original Apple (and later Adobe) Cairo support routines.  It
piggybacks off of the Gtk port, and so as the Gtk port advances, so
does the Windows Cairo port.

In this respect, the Cairo port just replaces the CoreGraphics.dll
dependency with a Cairo.dll dependency.
We use the Curl.dll in place of CFNetwork.dll
And now we use cf-lite to replace CoreFoundation.dll.

The API is not stable, as it tracks the WebKit.dll interface (and
simply *is* this interface, with various features turned off for
things we do not have licenses to redistribute, such as QuickTime and
some more advanced features of CFNetwork.dll).

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the port.  We are
getting close to the point where you can build it without having to
apply custom patches.  For many people, you can generate binaries
using the standard "build-webkit" script by adding the "--cairo-win32"
flag.

-Brent