[webkit-dev] Webkit License details

Pierre-Luc Beaudoin pierre-luc.beaudoin at collabora.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 09:22:21 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 14:33 +0530, Jayaprakash Palanisamy wrote:

> If I am developing an application using WebKit rendering engine, do I
> need to provide the source code which I developed to WebKit?

Which port?

The Gtk port is mostly all licenced LGPL 2.1 or later, meaning that you
can have a closed source application using it (aka linked against it).
But that also means that if you made changes to WebKitGtk, those changes
must be published (ideally in a patch in bugzilla).

Explicitly: it means that you can have a closed source browser using
WebKitGtk, but any changes to WebKitGtk itself have to be published.

DISCLAIMER:
This is my personal opinion on a legal matter, and since I am not a
layer, this advice is given WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY.  I, nor my employer,
can be held responsible if that advice happens to be wrong.

Please see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License

Pierre-Luc Beaudoin
Collabora Ltd.