[webkit-dev] Harmonizing content sniffing

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Fri Nov 14 14:40:44 PST 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 2:32 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> One disadvantage of moving the algorithm is that we might make some
> unintended changes.

Another disadvantage is that any other Mac OS X libraries or
applications that rely on the sniffing done by CFNetwork will no
longer get the same results as WebKit clients.

Also, I don't think we've established yet if we can turn off the
sniffing in CFNetwork and keep the other desirable CFNetwork features
working. There are a number of closely related features, such as the
one that determines the suggested filename for a download.

I think the concept of moving the sniffing into WebKit is great if we
can execute it successfully. I'm worried that it may be difficult to
do that in the Mac OS X version and the Windows version used by Safari.

     -- Darin