[webkit-dev] Harmonizing content sniffing

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Fri Nov 14 14:21:46 PST 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> When I raised this issue before on this list, I got the impression
> that the WebKit project was generally receptive to changing its
> content sniffing algorithm. Get the ball rolling, I'd suggest making
> the following changes:

As you know, today’s WebKit project does not have a content sniffing
algorithm. Apple software that it uses for networking does have a
sniffing algorithm.

I believe earlier you proposed moving the sniffing into the WebKit
project.

If the list of changes here is proposed for the Apple software beneath
WebKit, then we need to use a different forum. The folks responsible
for that software don't participate on this mailing list.

I think the proposals themselves sound good.

One way to start the ball rolling is to file a bug at
bugreport.apple.com with these suggested changes and cite the WebKit
context in that bug report. If you do that, please give me the bug
number so I can push the changes here within Apple.

     -- Darin