[webkit-dev] Moving forward with WebKit/GTK+

lkcl lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Nov 11 08:53:04 PST 2008

Gustavo Noronha Silva-5 wrote:

> The fact that WebKit/GTK+ doesn't go forward is starting to harm its
> momentum in the GNOME community, from my point of view - Epiphany is
> already having to decide if they take back the decision to move from
> Gecko to WebKit

that would be.... most unfortunate.  the webkit framework is blindingly
quick, and, in my opinion, superior to gecko.

> I can think of various options; forking the tree and trying to advance
> it outside of the main repository being the one I like the least. What I

not being funny or anything, but i believe that if you kept the gtk port
separate from webkit, and webkit as a library was cooperative in this
regard, that things would definitely improve.

the core of webkit is port-independent.  reliance on apple's infrastructure
to advance the webkit-gtk port is clearly not going anywhere, as people
believe that changes to the webkit-gtk infrastructure somehow blur over to
impacting webkit-core, which... can't happen, but people believe that it
might.

by separating out the webkit gtk code into a separate project that has
-lwebkit as a build dependency it makes it abundandly clear that there is no
such impact, and, importantly, it would free the gtk port from apple's
grasp.

so - yep, i'd recommend that you go ahead, and fork _just_ the
subdirectories that contain gtk/ in them.  also, what's nice about that is
that you no longer have to do #ifdef WEBKIT_GTK or other trickery.

l.