[webkit-dev] website installation instructions correction

Jack Wootton jackwootton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 09:23:36 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2008, at 8:41 AM, Jack Wootton wrote:

>>> You want to add it to "Include files", thus the mention of "include
>>> path". I
>>> agree we can make it even more clear.
>>
>> There is no 'include path'  option, only 'include files'.
>
> The include path is the path used to find include files.

OK.  I think this could be be made a lot clearer, perhaps it should read:

In addition to the paths specified in step 3 of the Platform SDK
installation instructions, you must also add the following path for
'include files'.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include\mfc

>>> What do you find confusing about it? I believe you should be able to cut
>>> and
>>> paste the string. We can use a monospace font for this path if you think
>>> it
>>> would help.
>>
>> Perhaps this is my fault, I'm not accustomed to include strings being
>> anything other than file locations or directory paths.  I do not have
>> the directory "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
>> Server 2003 R2\Include\mfc"
>>
>> Is this correct?
>
> Sounds to me like you are missing some needed files, then, specifically the
> platform SDK. Did you follow the installation instructions for that?

Yes, I believe so,

1. Install Visual C++ 2005 Express.
2. Install Microsoft Visual C++ Express 2005 Service Pack 1.
3. Install the Windows Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK, then follow steps
2 and 3 of "How to: Use Visual C++ Express Edition with the Microsoft
Platform SDK."

And that's it, up until the extra path that must be included, but does
not exist on my machine.

--
Regards
Jack