[webkit-dev] ImageDiff tool for gtk platform

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Thu May 22 23:26:38 PDT 2008

On 22/05/2008, at 07:24, S Venkata Udai Kiran wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I was trying to understand how the Layout tests are being done in
> Webkit. I  went through the perl code 'run-webkit-tests' and found
> that
> the script is using a tool name ImageDiff
> (WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/Programs/ImageDiff) .But I could not
> 'find'
> that tool in WebKit folder. As I understand that ImageDiff tool is
> necessary to do a pixel level diff for test images generated.I am
> looking at running individual tests using a small shell script rather
> running all the tests at once. this will help me to know the
> underlying
> things.  Please help.

ImageDiff is currently only implemented for Mac and Windows.  It's not
needed to run the standard regression tests.  Pixel test results will
differ between platforms and software versions, so there is a lot of
manual work involved in verifying results when bringing up pixel
results on a new platform.  Focusing on text-only and render tree
tests would provide much better bang for your buck than pixel test
results.

- Mark