[webkit-dev] Monitoring JavaScript execution time

Chuck Norris chuck at eventful.com
Wed May 21 12:36:23 PDT 2008

I'm working on a page load time monitoring tool using WebKit, and I'm
interested in suggestions from the community about how to monitor
JavaScript in particular.

Using WebKit, I've got really good page element monitoring through use
of the WebFrameLoadDelegate and WebResourceLoadDelegate protocols.
This takes care of images, script and CSS files very nicely.  But
we're finding that ads loading with JavaScript are often a significant
part of our page load times, and I'm trying to get some visibility
into what's going on.  We suspect that Google Analytics code can
occasionally take longer than usual, too.  Specifically, I'm hoping to
be able to monitor the execution time of any JavaScript that runs at
page load time and therefore adds to the total page load experience.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tacks I could take to solve
this?  One thought would be to add some sort of delegate protocol for
JavaScript that will let me monitor what's going on.  A more brute-
force method might be to custom compile JavaScriptCore to emit the
data I need some way.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or warnings would be welcome.

Chuck