[webkit-dev] The SquirrelFish Cometh

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sat May 17 19:03:37 PDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

Over the past few weeks, a few of us have been working on a major
reworking of the JavaScriptCore interpreter, code named
"SquirrelFish". This work has been done mainly by Geoff Garen, Oliver
Hunt and Cameron Zwarich, with help from myself, Sam Weinig, and
occasional others. The classic version of JavaScriptCore is an AST-
based interpreter. Although it was highly tuned, and competitive with
advanced bytecode engines in benchmarks, we could see that we would
run into the limits of the architecture soon.

So we started SquirrelFish, an incremental rewrite of JavaScriptCore's
execution logic to convert it into a state-of-the art bytecode VM.
Most of this work has been done on a branch of the public SVN
repository, to avoid destabilizing the trunk. We are now very close to
finishing off the last few blockers. There will be a formal
announcement to the general public when we are ready, including
performance data and more details about the internals. But for now I
wanted to let WebKit insiders know that it is coming.

We are also at the point where we could use testing help to verify
that SquirrelFish can handle the real-world web. If anyone would like
to help test, and is willing to get their hands a bit dirty, check out
<http://svn.webkit.org/repository/webkit/squirrelfish>.

Regards,
Maciej