[webkit-dev] Integrate postMessage changes to 3.1 branch?

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed May 14 23:23:08 PDT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 11:17 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> Does it make sense to integrate the postMessage changes to the
> Safari-3-1-branch?  The concern is that someone shipping a port might
> ENABLE(CROSS_DOCUMENT_MESSAGING) and get a significantly out-of-spec
> implementation.  Another option is to rip out the code hiding under
> the #if.

Safari release branches are made for the purpose of Safari software
updates, so we don't normally make changes that aren't strictly
necessary for that purpose. If anyone else wants to make a release
based on a variant of our release branch I guess we should strongly
warn them against enabling additional experimental features. In the
past we have not had a problem with vendors copying release branches
and enabling unstable features, for example things like SVG
experimental features were in this state in the Safari-3-0-branch.

If there is a serious risk of a significant problem, I would consider
ripping out the code as an option.

Regards,
Maciej