[webkit-dev] Does WebKit support 304 Not Modified for Ajax requests?

Scott Schmitz scott at realorganized.com
Fri May 9 08:50:41 PDT 2008

I have a web application that makes extensive use of xmlhttprequest
(AJAX).  I have optimized these GET requests such that the server will
return a 304 not modified if the ETag matches up from a prior
request.  That way, if the browser cache already has the data, I just
send the header back and not the data itself.

This works great for Firefox and Internet Explorer.  In the case of
those browsers, I return ETag and last modified headers for the
initial request.  The browser caches the data and includes

If-Modified-Since:
If-None-Match:

headers when it makes a request again.  If the server determined that
the cache is good, it returns

304 not-modified response and all is good.

WebKit and Safari do not do this.  Best I can see, the browser makes
its request and does not include any Etag at all.  I see this via Web
Inspector - Network Panel.

Anyone know what is going on?

thanks,

Scott Schmitz