[webkit-dev] cross-compiling WebKit Qt

Jay Tucker jay.tucker at gmail.com
Tue May 6 07:31:30 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to cross-compile WebKit Qt on an x86 development machine so
that it can run on an ARM-based device. (Yes, I know that Qt 4.4 will
have WebKit integrated into it, but for various reasons, I have to
work with an earlier version of Qtopia, so I have to do things the
hard way.) I've already got my version of Qtopia cross-compiled, so
all the necessary Qtopia libraries and so forth are there.

This probably shouldn't be that difficult a task. As far as I can tell
after looking through the WebKit build scripts, the process basically
consists of first building tools, and then using those tools to build
WebKit. The trick is that I need to use my regular gcc to build the
tools so that they'll run on on my x86 development machine, and then
switch over to the cross-compiler version of gcc to build the WebKit
binaries so that they'll run on an ARM processor. Is this about right?

Has anyone already done this? If someone can explain to me how to set
up my build scripts and/or config files to do this, I'd be very
grateful.

Thanks for your help.