[webkit-dev] FrameLoaderClient notifications

Artem Ananiev Artem.Ananiev at Sun.COM
Thu Mar 13 04:11:06 PDT 2008

Hi,

I work on dispatching web load/progress events for Java port and have
some questions about notifications in FrameLoaderClient class.

1. What is the right method to implement to get a 'page load started'
and 'page load finished' events? I tried the following methods:

postProgressStartedNotification()
postProgressFinishedNotification()

and the problem is they don't accept any params, so I can't get an URL
being loaded. If I obtain the URL from frame->loader->documentLoader, it
works for 'progress finished' notification, but returns an old URL for
'progress started'.

2. What is the right method to implement to get a 'main document load
started'? I see the method

dispatchDidLoadMainResource()

but there is no similar method about starting...

3. As I understand, the right way to handle resources (for example,
images) loading is to track methods

assignIdentifierToInitialRequest()
dispatchWillSendRequest()
dispatchDidFinishLoading()

The latter two methods provide request identifiers which are assigned in
the former one. However, sometimes I see two 'dispatchWillSendRequest'
calls with the same ids and different URLs. For example, when loading
www.google.com I the first URL is www.google.com and the second is
www.google.co.uk. How is this situation should be handled?

4. There are several notifications about resource loading is finished:

dispatchDidFinishLoading()
dispatchDidFinishLoad()
dispatchDidFinishDocumentLoad()

didFinishLoad() - is this a notification?
finishedLoading() - is this a notification?

Some of them provide DocumentLoader instances, others have no parameters
passed. What is the difference between these methods? Are some of them
outdated and shouldn't be used at all?

Thanks,

Artem