[webkit-dev] Windows build error during link

Mike McMullen mike at softsource.com
Sat Mar 8 11:15:59 PST 2008

No plugins or anything of the like, it was a "clean" install solely to build
WebKit.

Yesterday I stripped my machine of VS2005 and the platform SDK and then
re-installed.  It now successfully compiles...

I can only guess there was some conflict between VS2005 and VS2008 which I
removed more than a month ago.  Initially when I was asked to look into
WebKit the express edition of VS2005 was no longer available and I had to
get the VS2008 version.  Trying to resolve issues with that build (being
unfamiliar with the process) was difficult so the company purchased a copy
of VS2005.  I installed VS2005 to compare with VS2008 expecting it to just
work since that was the current development platform.  I removed VS2008 and
all references (environment variables, etc) but still could not compile with
VS2005.  Deleting the WebKitBuild directory, even clean check-out of the
entire code-base still left me with these errors.  I can only guess that
early builds with VS2008 may have effected files outside of WebKit, perhaps
with the platform SDK (although it seems unlikely).

I really appreciate the responses from Brent and David to help me work
through these issues.  It was painfully frustrating to fail when everything
pointed that it "should just work".

Thanks again,

Mike