[webkit-dev] [webkit-changes] [35474] trunk/JavaScriptCore

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Thu Jul 31 13:00:25 PDT 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 11:40 PM, Justin Haygood wrote:

>> Well, what I'm saying is that maintaining our own abstraction layer
>> is
>> a large and unnecessary burden.
>>
> We already do maintain it... WebCore uses it quite heavily. Why not
> use it?

Right now, the abstraction is weaker than needed by JSC, and hasn't
been scrutinized for interoperability in non-trivial cases (e.g.
WebCore threads never die, so we didn't need to define and
interoperably implement the behavior of synchronization primitives in
this case).

Obviously, the suggestion to more fully embrace pthreads involves
removing other implementations from Threading*.cpp eventually, so that
we wouldn't need to maintain this code.

> It uses the platform's native threading APIs (gthread on glib,
> QThread on Qt, pthread on OS X, Win32 threads on Win32)

Naturally, pthreads also uses native threading APIs on each platform
(even more native, as it does not go through Qt/gtk wrappers, which
may become important for performance and correctness). But with
pthreads, we get well tested implementations for many platforms, with
an API that is documented in man pages, books etc.

Are there any benefits in redoing all this work? As Brent wrote, not
having to include pthreads.dll is beneficial, but I do not see why one
couldn't statically link pthreads, if needed.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov