[webkit-dev] [webkit-changes] [35474] trunk/JavaScriptCore

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 12:30:29 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:31 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:
>> We'd basically need to take pthreads implementations for all platforms
>
> Or we could take the code from another existing library - e.g.,
> ThreadingWin uses code from Boost. Again, the benefits are not obvious
> to me.

One benefit to using the native thread primitives on each platform is
that it reduces the need to include things like pthreads.dll in the
distribution.  For embedded/cell phone use, this is a benefit.

Since WebKit has its own threading abstraction layer, I think it is
unwise for code outside this layer to make use of the special
knowledge that pthreads is in use.  Whatever you want to be doing via
calls to pthreads primitives should instead be handled using one of
the WTF/Thread methods.  If no such method exists, it should be added
so that proper variants for the specific platforms are used.

-Brent