[webkit-dev] Implementing a 'dummy' plugin for WebKit

Artem Ananiev Artem.Ananiev at Sun.COM
Tue Jul 29 02:25:25 PDT 2008

Hi, WebKit developers,

I'm trying to understand how plugins are supported in WebKit. At first,
I'd like to implement a dummy plugin which can be used to handle any
mimeType, etc. passed to it.

Here is what I have done so far:
   - some methods in PluginInfoStore are implemented, including:
createPluginInfoForPluginAtIndex, pluginCount, pluginNameForMIMEType,
supportsMIMEType
   - refreshPlugins method is implemented
   - createPlugin method in FrameLoaderClientJava is implemented
   - settings->setPluginsEnabled(true) is called
   - a new class PluginWidgetJava extends Widget is created and used in
createPlugin method

When I load a page with any embedded objects like Flash clips, I get two
method calls:

PluginInfoStore::pluginCount
PluginInfoStore::createPluginInfoForPluginAtIndex

and the clip is replaced by server with an animated gif. What other
stuff should I implement? Note, at the current moment I don't want to
have an arbitrary NPAPI plugin working, just would like to understand
the whole plugin-related machinery.

Thanks,

Artem