[webkit-dev] Pango vs WebCore for font-handling

Joshua Chia joshchia at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 15:03:08 PDT 2008

I have a design-related question about using Pango in Webkit, especially in
the GTK port, because I'm trying to use Pango in my port by borrowing ideas
from the GTK port.

Pango itself already does font matching and I believe can fallback properly
to the right font that has the glyph for the required character.

The WebCore GlyphPageTreeNode code in concert with the various Font.*
classes seem to be designed for font and glyph selection.  I'm not sure how
it's supposed to work, bit it seems to be not working on GTK.  For example,
on www.baidu.com, some Chinese characters render as squares.

I'm wondering whether it'll be ok to skip the WebCore font handling code and
let Pango worry about font handling and glyph selection.  Perhaps the code
will be simpler if I don't have to implement the platform specific Font.*
code that is supposed to interface with the WebCore font and glyph
infrastructure, but I have no idea about the performance.  Any thoughts?

Josh