[webkit-dev] Questions about WebKit

Nemix ereas_dre at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 10 04:00:56 PDT 2008

Hi,

(first of all : sorry for my english, I'm french ;) )

I have to develop a Java application that will run on Mac OS, Windows and
embedded system (mobile, PDA,...).
I haven't develop for this kind of application yet, so I need some help  ;)

Someone told me about WebKit to develop a cross platform application. This
person said that it will probably met my needs (or the needs of my boss...).
Have I got to develop just one application or one for Mac OS+Windows and one
for embedded system ?

I have seen that WebKit is a web browser. I need this functionnality so it's
ok.
But I need to manipulate video, audio and pdf files too. This files must be
read in streaming because no temporary files have to be created (originals
files are in a crypted file, so I obtain a stream when I parse it). I have
seen two things :
   * for the audio/video :
1.
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/12/16/html5-video-support-in-gtkwebkit
I think it means that I have to create an HTML page with stream to play in
argument. No ?
2. I have seen : http://java.sun.com/javame/index.jsp
But I think it doesn't work on Mac OS and Windows. No ?
3. http://trolltech.com/products/qt
Do you think it is possible to use it in my case ?

  * for the pdf :
I need essentially to : read pdf, highlight text in pdf files and create
bookmarks.
If you have any idea...  :)

I'm sorry for all this questions, but I don't know how I can do...

Thanks.

Best regards,

Audrey