[webkit-dev] how to build arora with latest qtwebkit

Gustavo Noronha Silva gns at gnome.org
Tue Jul 8 08:27:35 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 16:39 +0200, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > get into the arora building path
> > "ldd arora" give back the following output, it seems that it still use the
> > system libs, so how can I solve the problem? maybe manuelly replace that
> > /usr/lib/libqtwebkit.so.4 with the trunk compiled version?
> >
> > seen at seen-desktop:~/build/arora$ ldd arora
> >
> > >     linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff133fe000)
> > >     *libQtWebKit.so.4 => /usr/lib/libQtWebKit.so.4 (0x00007f460a4c7000)*
>
> Looks like it is still using the old Makefile.  Run 'make distclean' and then
> qmake (qmake-qt4 on Debian) and then make.  You shouldn't need to replace the
> system libraries.

The problem here is actually that ldd is looking for the library
in /usr/lib first, and since it finds it there, it uses it (as does
arora). Linking with a library in a different directory doesn't mean
that the system search path for libraries will be ignored at runtime.

You still need to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_PRELOAD (as suggested by
another poster) to force your custom build of the library to be used
when the program is executed.

You can even build the program using the system library and use the
custom built later by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org>
GNOME contributor: http://www.gnome.org/