[webkit-dev] Patents on WebKit?

Gustavo Noronha Silva gns at gnome.org
Wed Jul 2 04:20:30 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 15:08 +0900, KwangYul Seo wrote:
> Hello,

Hey,

> Is there any possibility that I can accidentally infringe the patents
> of Apple if I create a browser based on WebKit? I know WebKit is
> licensed under LGPLv2, but it does not guarantee that the patents of
> Apple are automatically granted. So I am a bit worried.

I am not a lawyer, and a lawyer is probably what you should consult for
a definitive answer on this if you are worried, but...

I believe you cannot infringe any Apple patent by using/linking a
library that is released by a project they are the biggest part of. You
would only be breaking a patent if you were using the patented technique
in your own code.

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org>