[webkit-dev] renaming ASSERT macro

Jörg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at trolltech.com
Tue Jul 1 01:45:02 PDT 2008

Darin Adler wrote:

>> Well, this is a small change but also a very bad idea. Not because of
>> compilation time, but because of the crappy Windows headers which define
>> *a* *lot* of global stuff. E.g. the XSLT parser of WebKit won't build
>> because there's a "#define ERROR <somenumber>" which breaks an enum
>> definition. Or think of the famous MIN / MAX definitions, which drive
>> every crossplatform developer insane.
>
> OK. Lets #undef those things.

This solution is easy to do, leads to the smallest source diff but is a
very dirty hack, which will lead to problems on WinCE, because we will
include windows.h in public headers. One survival rule of Windows
developers is: only include windows.h when it is really needed.

So what's your argument against the clean solution (renaming)?

Regards,

Jörg