[webkit-dev] StringBuilder

Eric Seidel eric at webkit.org
Mon Jan 28 13:50:46 PST 2008

I know that we talked about adding a StringBuilder class to WebCore a while
back.  I wanted to check up on the status of that.
I was thinking about killing DeprecatedString for real this weekend (we're
so close!) but in order to do that, we need a data structure to do fast
appends.

There are two which come to mind:

Vector<UChar> amortizedCostAppends;
StringBuilder bigOOfOneCostAppends;

class StringBuilder {
    .... /// details
   String finalize();
private:
    Vector<String>; // or this could be a linked list of strings
}

Thoughts on our current status for adding such to WebCore?

Once I know the current state, and hear from some other WC hackers, I'll
just do it.

-eric