[webkit-dev] Trunk policy regarding new features and stabilization
eric at webkit.org
Wed Jan 23 23:50:35 PST 2008
I'd like to get some clarification from other members of the WebKit project,
regarding the policy regarding having features on/off on trunk.
Specifically Apple folks, since they are the largest single vendor actively
contributing to the WebKit Open Source Project.
I'm interested in discussing the general policy towards new features on
trunk and "stabilization" of trunk during release times for various vendors.
This was prompted by my recent discovery that SVG_FOREIGN_OBJECT feature had
been turned off. I assume for "stabilization" concerns. I've filed a bug:
http://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16991 about that specific case.
* Is trunk the advised location for all feature development? At what point
should a feature be moved off onto it's own branch?
* Is the current policy that there will be times of "stabilization" for the
trunk, to match with a certain vendor or set of vendors release cycles?
* If a vendor (or group of contributers) wishes to ship from trunk, is there
a procedure by which they can "close" trunk to new feature development?
My personal preferences would be:
* Trunk is the location for all feature development. Large features which
would disturb other development (introduce more than N p1 bugs, break the
build, break patches repeatedly, etc.)
* Currently there is no policy to enact a time of "stabilization" for trunk,
however I think such could make sense if there was a way for enough
contributers to agree. Stabilization periods should last no more than a
month or two, during which time, all feature work should continue on a
feature branch (similar to last summer, except *not nearly so long*).
* I know of no such procedure, but I can see rational for creating one.
Without one, my default would be to leave trunk always "open", unless
policies are defined allow for its closure (like perf regressions?).
Looking forward to your comments.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the webkit-dev