[webkit-dev] Safari not connecting to IPv6 server with numeric address

Andre-John Mas ajmas at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 18 21:20:31 PST 2008

On 18-Jan-08, at 23:47 , Steve Atkins wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2008, at 8:39 PM, Darin Adler wrote:
>
>> On Jan 18, 2008, at 8:18 PM, Andre-John Mas wrote:
>>
>>> If I try connecting to my web server, on my local network, which
>>> is running Apache 2 with IPv6, the following fails:
>>>
>>> http://[fe80::230:65ff:fed6:b164%en0]/
>>>
>>> Yet at the same time, from the command line:
>>>
>>> telnet -6 "fe80::230:65ff:fed6:b164%en0" 80
>>>
>>> connects. Typing in:
>>>
>>> GET /
>>>
>>> results in a returned page. Is this a webkit issue or a safari
>>> issue?
>>
>> Neither WebKit nor Safari.
>>
>> In WebKit on Mac OS X, host names in URLs are interpreted by the
>> NSURL family of classes in the Foundation framework.
>>
>> So if that's not working, it's most likely an issue in either
>> Foundation or the CFNetwork library that is used by the NSURL
>> classes. You can report the bug at <http://bugreport.apple.com>.
>
> It's not a valid URL, I don't believe. The %en0 on the end looks
> suspicious, not least because the '%' symbol is an escape character
> in a URL.

The error given by Safari is: "Safari can’t open the page “http://
[fe80::230:65ff:fed6:b164%en0]/” because it’s an invalid address."

I did a little research and from what I can tell its seems to be a
case of RFC 3986 being out of date with regards to RFC 4007. The
second RFC adds the notion of a "zone indice" to the IPv6 address, yet
the specification for the "Universal Resource Identifier" has not been
updated to reflect this. Currently I can't see any documented way to
specify the address with the URI.

I will see whether I can find someone IETF related who could give me
an answer.

Andre