[webkit-dev] Pulling together on WebKit Mobile

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 11:55:26 PST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 11:29 AM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:

> On 11/01/2008, at 10:54 AM, Mike Emmel wrote:
> > I think this approach will allow us to keep the main repository and
> > tree clean and foster the churn that makes open source development fun
> > and exciting.
> >
> > Contributing to webkit is not a fun and exciting process at the
> > moment.
>
> There's already a git mirror of webkit trunk, and there's nothing
> stopping you from having a public facing version of your own git
> repository, but having a lax commit policy will just make life
> complicated in the long term -- say you work for many months off
> trunk, sure git will allow you to track trunk effectively, but when
> it comes to final commit time it will make reviewing the patch much
> harder as the entire patch will have to be reviewed at once...
>
> As far as I was aware most large OSS projects had similar review
> requirements, so i'm not entirely sure how the WebKit project differs
>
> --Oliver

I have no problems with the commit requirements for the main tree.
This is more about a collaboration area.
It make more sense for WebKit.org to host a collaboration area.

And its a good way to allow developers to build up a work history to
ask for main commit rights.

Its a public work area and why would it effect eventual mainline
submissions if the code is crufty its rejected.

I have a patch for example to allow the gtk webkit to run on OSX. But
its a workaround for a bug in the cairo OSX port.
I'd like to be able to get the patch public and work with the cairo
OSX port maintainer to explain why I did what I did
and what he could do to cairo to fix OSX cairo.

Without a public work area this sort of problem is difficult to work on.
Assuming cairo is fixed then we would need to figure out version info
for the OSX port of GTK etc etc.

Being able to run the OSX port and the gtk port at the same time on
OSX is a nice feature.
Other open source ports such as QT might want a similar workspace for
similar problems.

As of now the patch sits in my git tree unsubmitted.