[webkit-dev] Re: #if style

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Jan 1 00:37:04 PST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008, at 12:19 AM, Alp Toker wrote:

> I have a slight preference for Jan's convention, B:

Sure, those arguments make sense; faster builds for people who have a
feature disabled.

> * A doesn't make it clear that DATABASE is optional so it's more
> likely to lead to build breakage by new developers who may be
> unaware the these features can be disabled. B makes it very clear
> that database code needs to be guarded.

I am not sure I'm convinced on this point. I think that the #if
ENABLED in the header is pretty prominent, perhaps even more prominent
than the one in the include list. It's useful to know when looking at
a header that all this code is conditional.

> Still no strong objections if you want to back this out.

I want the project to be consistent. I'm not passionately in favor of
one approach over the other, but I dislike the mix of the two
approaches.

I'd love to see a patch that moves us all the way in either one
direction or the other.

This is not an urgent matter.

     -- Darin