[webkit-dev] Build Libraries and Includes (Windows)

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 16:01:51 PST 2008

I'm writing this to the list in the hope that it will help some of the other
Windows (Cairo) users get up and running.  I am also updating the "
http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/wiki/BuildingCairoOnWindows" Wiki
Page to be more clear about some of these requirements.

Because Windows does not typically ship with support for GIF, JPEG and PNG
graphic formats (aside from the GDI+ library, which has its own problems),
the Cairo build of Windows links against the open source libpng, giflib, and
libjpeg libraries.  I originally obtained all three of them from
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html, but found that their build of
libjpeg was missing some important patches.

For libjpeg, I recommend the following:

1.  Download the sources from
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libj/libjpeg6b/libjpeg6b_6b.orig.tar.gz
.
2.  Apply this set of patches (
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libj/libjpeg6b/libjpeg6b_6b-13.diff.gz
).
3.  Build using the Makefile.vc per the instructions included in the
tarball.

Since I built from sources I generally link statically so I don't have to
worry about dealing with another DLL.

Because these libraries are packaged into -bin and -dev (or -lib) packages,
I extract them all to a common directory (in my case I called it
"graphics_formats", such that includes all go under
"graphics_formats/include" and link libraries in "graphics_formats/lib", and
the DLL's in "graphics_format/bin".

I then added the "graphics_formats/include" and "graphics_formats/lib"
directories to Visual Studio's default search paths, and am able to build.

-Brent