[webkit-dev] "maintenance" to do list

Chris Brichford chrisb at adobe.com
Wed Feb 13 10:31:16 PST 2008

I think these are all great ideas.  I'd like to make one suggestion in regards to:
  * move ref/deref classes to the "start with 1" rather than "start with 0" approach

I'd suggest that ref/deref classes start out with a 0 ref count, but all their constructor and destructors should protected or private.  The concrete classes that should be "constructable" should then have a static method that calls the constructor and returns a PassRefPtr.  Such an approach makes it harder to misuse the class.  It would also simplify the RefPtr and PassRefPtr classes because their constructors that accept a raw ptr would *always* call ref.

Even if the ref/deref classes start out with a 1 ref count, it still would make sense to me to make the constructors and destructors protected or private such that a static method on the class encapsulates the incantation to get a RefPtr or PassRefPtr to a new instances of the class.

Chris