[webkit-dev] New loader class to allow workers to do xhr

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Dec 31 09:04:00 PST 2008

On Dec 30, 2008, at 12:07 PM, Darin Adler wrote:

> I have a few thoughts on this. The general approach seems OK.
>
> On Dec 30, 2008, at 11:11 AM, David Levin wrote:
>
>>    class ScriptResourceLoader {
>
> I'm not sure "Script" is the right word here, but I don't have a
> better one. Up until now Script has meant "interface to the
> JavaScript interpreter" rather than objects outside that that are
> intended for use by script. But prefixes like "Programmatic" are
> uglier, so maybe we should stick with Script. Lets see if we can
> think of a better prefix.

ScriptResourceLoader sounds like the name for a ResourceLoader that
loads Scripts. However, this is neither a ResourceLoader (in the
subclass sense), nor does it load scripts. It is just a helper class
to do the loading for XMLHttpRequest. Thus I would suggest the name
XHRLoader or XMLHttpRequestLoader.

> How were you planning on handling synchronous loads? Maybe the
> function for that should be here too as a static member function?
>
>>    public:
>>        static PassRefPtr<ScriptResourceLoader>
>> create(ScriptExecutionContext*, ScriptResourceLoaderClient*, const
>> ResourceRequest&, bool skipCanLoadCheck, bool
>> sendResourceLoadCallbacks, bool shouldContentSniff);
>
> Despite their use in existing code I think booleans are a lousy way
> to handle options like these.
>
> I think we can omit skipCanLoadCheck, since it's always false for
> XMLHttpRequest. For the other two I would prefer something easier to
> read at the call site, either named enums or a flags word. The best
> example I could find of the named enum approach is EChildrenOnly in
> markup.h, although the use of an "E" prefix isn't desirable. I
> couldn't find a good example of a flags word.
>
> But this may be in appropriate, since we already use booleans for
> this purpose and you're just refactoring.

I believe XHR also never does content sniffing, so
sendResourceLoadCallbacks would be the only flag that could have an
effect. Does it actually differ for different XHR invocations?

Regards,
Maciej