[webkit-dev] Limiting the size of LocalStorage

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Thu Dec 4 11:08:06 PST 2008

On Dec 4, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Yael.Aharon at nokia.com wrote:

> I'd be happy to fix this bug and submit a patch when I am done.
> Before I can do that, I have a question - why is LocalStorgare
> created and tracked per page group and not per process, like offline
> storage databases are?

The reason page groups exist is that within the same process, WebKit
can be used for multiple purposes. For example, imagine a web browser
that has a separate help viewer within the same process. The page
group allows the help viewer to use web views but not share the rest
of its state with the web browser windows.

Ideally features like local storage can be separate for different page
groups or can be shared if the page groups are closely related.

As to the specific question of why offline storage database is per-
process and local storage is per-page-group, I can't really explain
the difference. It would make sense to have both be per-page-group.

At present, none of this matters for major WebKit clients. Clients
like Safari on Windows that use multiple page groups typically have
one "like a browser" page group, and other page groups that have
features like local storage and database disabled entirely.

     -- Darin