[webkit-dev] downloading src

David Kilzer ddkilzer at webkit.org
Fri Aug 29 08:53:59 PDT 2008

Windows has a restriction on the total length of the path to a file in the filesystem of about 255 characters.  If you're checking out WebKit source in a "deep" subdirectory, you could be hitting this limit on some subdirectories (but not others).

http://en-passant.blogspot.com/2004/11/file-length-path-length-restrictions.html
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/filenames.htm

I believe Windows will simply refuse to create a file if the limit is reached, so this could explain the error messages below.  Please try checking out WebKit to the root of a drive (C:\WebKit), or under one subdirectory (C:\Source\WebKit).

Since svn-1.5.x is relatively new, you could also try grabbing svn-1.4.x from the Cygwin installer and using it to check out the source.  I would consider the path length restriction above first, though.

Dave