[webkit-dev] Request for comments

Hiitola Kari (Nokia-D/Tampere) kari.hiitola at nokia.com
Wed Aug 27 07:40:53 PDT 2008

Hi,

Let me continue the discussion as Jonni escaped to have a vacation. I¹m from
the same team as he is. Sorry about the radio silence in between.

I don¹t have much to add to CSS transitions or transforms specifications.
They are very well written, and the functionality seems to be just what is
needed, and that¹s what we are looking at. Our work is currently around
hardware-accelerating the drawing. You must also have felt the pain of
performance in software-only drawing with mobile devices. What plans do you
have in releasing the 3D transforms in the public tree? CSS animations are
lower priority for us (but that doesn¹t of course mean that they couldn¹t be
important to some other part of Nokia, it¹s a big company).

Regarding the accelerometer events, I was only able to find the
iPhoneOrientation, which only has pre-defined orientations around one axis.
We are adding face down and face up orientations, as well as the possibility
to get the 3D rotation angle of the device and raw accelerometer values.

In touch API I¹d like to see the gestures abstracted a bit from their iPhone
origin. Using two fingers can¹t be the criteria for a gesture, because there
might be other mechanisms than a pinch for zooming etc. It would be probably
be wiser to call it manipulation which should be a good name regardless of
the fingers, mouse movements, or buttons used to trigger the event. Also we
have been thinking that it would be good to separate the event registration
for different types of manipulation events. E.g. only registering for
³onrotate² would let you direct the zoom events to the browser to zoom the
whole page. It¹s not mandatory, however, to separate the event object
definitions. Even adding the parameters of drag to the same event could be a
semantically good thing, politically probably a bit difficult.

Just tell us in case you are interested in making a joint proposal to be
standardized.

 Best regards,

 - Kari Hiitola