[webkit-dev] Is there a way to avoid the 16.8 MB RegisterFile memory usage?

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Mon Aug 25 01:34:43 PDT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 1:09 AM, Paul Pedriana wrote:

> On loading a first page (google.com) I am seeing two 8.4 MB
> RegisterFile
> memory allocations for a total of 16.8 MB. Unfortunately, we don't
> have
> this much memory to spare, and virtual memory doesn't exist on our
> platforms. I'm wondering if there is anyway around this, regardless of
> the performance. Is there a way to reduce this to, say, two 512K
> allocations? I don't care of JavaScript performance drops 10-fold as a
> result.

Which revision of WebKit are you using?  The 8MB RegisterFile capacity
was dropped to 2MB back in <http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/34966>.
That revision should also indicate how you could further decrease the
RegisterFile capacity.  I'll let someone with greater understanding of
the JSCore VM indicate the consequences of decreasing this value, if
any.

- Mark