[webkit-dev] Welcome to WebKit's GSoC 2008!

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Wed Apr 23 09:27:51 PDT 2008

Hello and welcome to all of our Google Summer of Code students!

Hopefully you've all heard by now that your projects have been
accepted and your mentors assigned. Congratulations! We had a very
strong set of project proposals (which is especially great since this
is our first year participating in GSoC), and we wish we'd had slots
to take all of them. We're very excited to see the results of all of
your projects!

Here's the list of accepted WebKit projects:

* Code Generator for a Bytecode JavaScript Interpreter
     Student: Cameron Zwarich
     Mentor: Maciej Stachowiak

* WebKit SVG Filters Design and Implementation
     Student: Alex Mathews
     Mentor: Oliver Hunt

* WebForms 2.0 Support
     Student: Michelangelo De Simone
     Mentor: Adele Peterson

* Improving and Extending WebKit Inspector
     Student: Keishi Hattori
     Mentor: Adam Roben

* CSS Fixes and Enhancement for WebKit
     Student: Bradley Stephen Meck
     Mentor: Rob Buis

* Application to add XBL2 support
     Student: Chaffraix Julien
     Mentor: Eric Seidel

Now is a great time to start familiarizing yourself with the WebKit
project and community. Some of our resources you should know about:

* http://webkit.org/

This is our website, and contains lots of useful information about how
to check out and build WebKit, submit patches, and report bugs, as
well as our project goals and coding style guidelines.

* irc://chat.freenode.net/#webkit

This is our IRC channel, where most WebKit developers hang out while
they're working.

* webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org

This is our main email list, where discussions about WebKit
development take place.

* http://bugs.webkit.org/

This is our bug database, where bugs are reported and patches are
posted to be reviewed.

* http://svn.webkit.org/repository/webkit

This is our Subversion repository, where all our code is stored (even
the code that runs webkit.org and bugs.webkit.org is here).

* http://trac.webkit.org/

This is our Trac installation, which gives a nice view of our
Subversion history and hosts our wiki.

* http://build.webkit.org/

This is our Buildbot, which builds and tests the latest WebKit code
day and night on many different platforms.

* http://nightly.webkit.org/

This is where nightly builds of WebKit are hosted that people can
download and run on Mac OS X or Windows.

We're now in the GSoC Community Bonding Period [1] (I feel all warm
and fuzzy just thinking about it), which continues until May 26, when
you all start working on your projects. Here are some unofficial goals
to accomplish during the Bonding Period:

* Sign up for an account at bugs.webkit.org
* Exchange an email or two with your mentor (don't be shy!)
* Show up in #webkit and say hello
* Try to check out and build WebKit using the instructions on webkit.org

We're really excited to have you all join us for the summer (and
hopefully beyond!), and can't wait to work with you!

-Adam

[1] http://googlesummerofcode.blogspot.com/2007/04/so-what-is-this-community-bonding-all.html