[webkit-dev] Plugins again :-)

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Thu Apr 17 10:04:40 PDT 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 8:40 AM, R Bassett wrote:

> I've got a directfb / gtk / webkit software stack cross-compiled and
> running nicely on my platform. I'd like to add a plugin however I'm
> failing to find a simple example that I can start with. I got hold
> of the "simple" NetscapeMoviePlugIn from the Mac from a friend but
> that still seems to want to include all sorts of other Mac OS
> headers I don't have. So then I thought I'd look at Mozillas plugin
> examples, but even the "basic" plugin relies on X. Does anyone have
> a simple template that just prints hello world or something like
> that into a webkit window, that doesn't try and pull in dependancies
> from all over the place?
>
> If I've missed the plot - please let me know!

The Netscape plug-in API doesn't provide a graphics library. So you
have to use one from the platform you're working on. Thus any plug-in
that does any drawing at all will have to pull in some platform
dependency. You are presumably looking for one with GTK or something
in its family as the graphics dependency, and you probably won't find
a plug-in example that's already like that.

     -- Darin