[webkit-dev] Desperate for webkit help

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Apr 16 11:36:33 PDT 2008

Hi Mark,

On Apr 16, 2008, at 10:32 AM, Mark Pauley wrote:

> The bug is in the php tool, not in webkit.  From the RFC (rfc1341 http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc1341/7_2_Multipart.html)
> :
>
> boundary := 0*69<bchars> bcharsnospace
>
> bchars := bcharsnospace / " "
>
> bcharsnospace :=    DIGIT / ALPHA / "'" / "(" / ")" / "+"  /
> "_"
>                / "," / "-" / "." / "/" / ":" / "=" / "?"
>
> '+' is absolutely allowable, I'm betting that your upload tool
> source has a faulty regular expression for grabbing multipart
> boundaries.  Perhaps what we really want here is a method of
> specifying the multipart boundary to webkit... and so allow all
> manner of hackers to work around parsing issues like this one
> without encouraging people to write crappy parsers.
>
> or, you could grab the webkit source, hack a work-around and ship
> your own webkit dylib embedded in your app.  Let's not go tooling
> with code that works on millions of people's machines because of a
> fault in code that works on thousands of people's machines.

You are correct by the letter of the spec that "+" is allowed in the
boundary separator. However, this is not the first time we've had a
site break in WebKit-based browsers when it worked fine in other
browsers, due to our choice of boundary characters. Even though the
spec allows a wide character set, I think it would be wise to limit
the characters we use to those sent by other browsers, since some web
developers develop against IE/Firefox and test against Safari as an
afterthought, if at all.

Regards,
Maciej