[webkit-dev] Helper actions in Webkit

Adam Roben aroben at apple.com
Tue Apr 15 07:54:02 PDT 2008

Sriram Neelakandan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know webkit support NPAPI plugin framework. but what about "helper
> actions" ?
> Invoking an external application based on the MIME TYPE.
> Is that left to the browser implementation or is it part of the Webkit
> engine ?

WebKit delegates this responsibility to the application.
-[WebPolicyDelegate
webView:decidePolicyForMIMEType:request:frame:decisionListener:] is the
call the application can use to invoke a helper application. See
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/WebKit/Protocols/WebPolicyDelegate_Protocol/Reference/Reference.html#//apple_ref/occ/instm/NSObject/webView:decidePolicyForMIMEType:request:frame:decisionListener:>
for details.

-Adam