[webkit-dev] Idea for comments: Using Git to manage some WebKit platform ports

Ryan Leavengood leavengood at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 10:03:56 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:38 PM, David Kilzer <ddkilzer at webkit.org> wrote:

>  In summary, I think it's great to use git for starting a new port, but in the
>  mid- to long-term, I think you'll be better off if there is a bi-directional
>  movement of code between the main svn repository and your port's git
>  repository.  This is basically how Linux kernel development works as
>  well--anyone is free to check out Joe User's git repository, but the overall
>  health of the project benefits when code flows both ways.

OK, I'm convinced. I will say as a "small platform" porter, I
appreciate how many in the WebKit project want the smaller ports
"brought into the fold" of the main project as much as possible.

In regards to the status of my port, we have something working
reasonably well, but the code is currently languishing in my own SVN
repo that is months behind the current WebKit repo. It is also a
partial copy of the repo with only the parts relevant to my port. I
did it this way because that was the best SVN-based workflow I could
come up with at the time But the prospect of merging in months worth
of WebKit changes and the likely pain of that is not appealing, hence
my wanting to move to Git.

Once I get the new Git repo going and figure out a good workflow for
sending those changes back to the main WebKit repo, I will be back in
contact with you guys (probably with some bug reports and patches I
suppose.)

Also I guess at some point I should get commit access to the main repo
to act as the main Haiku port maintainer.

If anyone has any links to documents describing a Git workflow that
posts back to the main WebKit SVN repo I would appreciate it. I know
some of the Apple guys are using Git internally, but I would be
curious to hear more. I'm still far from a Git expert.

Regards,
Ryan