[webkit-dev] Editable selection inside empty element

Mark Rowe bdash at webkit.org
Fri Sep 21 12:58:50 PDT 2007

On 21/09/2007, at 21:53, Frederico Caldeira Knabben wrote:

> For the few big issues we are having with Safari, I'm going almost
> crazy,
> trying to find a way to place the caret inside an empty element for
> editing.
> To understand the problem, just try the following page:
>
> http://www.fredck.com/bugs/safari/collapsed_select_test.html
>
> This page works well with Firefox 2 and Opera 9.5 (minor issues with
> this
> one).
>
> Before opening a bug report for it, I'm coming to the mailing list
> for a
> desperate call for help.

Please do file a bug report on this at http://bugs.webkit.org/.  I'm
not an expert on editing support by any means, but the behaviour you
are expecting to see from the test case sounds correct.

On an unrelated note,
> // For Safari and Opera, we must ensure the focus.
> if ( (/safari/i).test( navigator.userAgent ) )

It is almost never correct to test for "Safari" specifically.  WebKit
is what you should be aiming to detect.  This will ensure that your
code functions correctly in other WebKit-based browsers, such as
OmniWeb, Shiira, NetNewsWire, etc.

Kind regards,

Mark Rowe