[webkit-dev] Building webkit

Piyush Sharma piyush.sharma19 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 23:18:58 PST 2007

Skipped content of type multipart/alternative-------------- next part --------------
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

# Copyright (C) 2005, 2006 Apple Computer, Inc.  All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
# are met:
#
# 1.  Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
# 2.  Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
#     documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
# 3.  Neither the name of Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") nor the names of
#     its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
#     from this software without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY APPLE AND ITS CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY
# EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
# WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
# DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL APPLE OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
# DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
# (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
# LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
# ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
# (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
# THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

# Simplified build script for Web Kit Open Source Project.

use strict;
use File::Basename;
use File::Spec;
use FindBin;
use Getopt::Long qw(:config pass_through);
use lib $FindBin::Bin;
use webkitdirs;
use POSIX;

my $originalWorkingDirectory = getcwd();

my $svgSupport = 1;
my $svgExperimentalSupport = 0;
my $xpathSupport = 1;
my $xsltSupport = 1;
my $coverageSupport = 0;
my $colorSupport = 1; # Default: colorize make output

GetOptions('svg!' => \$svgSupport,
           'svg-experimental!' => \$svgExperimentalSupport,
           'xpath!' => \$xpathSupport,
           'xslt!' => \$xsltSupport,
           'coverage!' => \$coverageSupport,
           'color!' => \$colorSupport);

checkRequiredSystemConfig();
setConfiguration();
chdirWebKit();

my $productDir = productDir();
my @options = XcodeOptions();
my @overrideFeatureDefinesOption = ();

push @overrideFeatureDefinesOption, "ENABLE_SVG" if $svgSupport;
push @overrideFeatureDefinesOption, "ENABLE_SVG_EXPERIMENTAL_FEATURES" if $svgExperimentalSupport;
push @overrideFeatureDefinesOption, "ENABLE_XPATH" if $xpathSupport;
push @overrideFeatureDefinesOption, "ENABLE_XSLT" if $xsltSupport;
my $overrideFeatureDefinesString = "FEATURE_DEFINES=" . join(" ", @overrideFeatureDefinesOption);

my @coverageSupportOption = ();
if ($coverageSupport) {
    push @coverageSupportOption, "GCC_GENERATE_TEST_COVERAGE_FILES=YES";
    push @coverageSupportOption, "GCC_INSTRUMENT_PROGRAM_FLOW_ARCS=YES";
    push @coverageSupportOption, "EXTRA_LINK= -ftest-coverage -fprofile-arcs";
    push @coverageSupportOption, "OTHER_CFLAGS= -MD";
    push @coverageSupportOption, "OTHER_LDFLAGS= -ftest-coverage -fprofile-arcs -framework AppKit";
}

# Check that all the project directories are there.
my @projects = ("JavaScriptCore", "JavaScriptGlue", "WebCore", "WebKit");
my @otherDirs = ("WebKitLibraries");
for my $dir (@projects, @otherDirs) {
    if (! -d $dir) {
        die "Error: No $dir directory found. Please do a fresh checkout.\n";
    }
}

if (isOSX()) {
    # Copy library and header from WebKitLibraries to a findable place in the product directory.
    my $srcLib = "WebKitLibraries/libWebKitSystemInterface.a";
    my $lib = "$productDir/libWebKitSystemInterface.a";
    if (!-e $lib || -M $lib > -M $srcLib) {
        print "Updating $lib\n";
        system "ditto", $srcLib, $lib;
        system "ranlib", $lib;
    }

    my $srcHeader = "WebKitLibraries/WebKitSystemInterface.h";
    my $header = "$productDir/usr/local/include/WebKitSystemInterface.h";
    if (!-e $header || -M $header > -M $srcHeader) {
        print "Updating $header\n";
        system "mkdir", "-p", "$productDir/usr/local/include";
        system "ditto", $srcHeader, $header;
    }
}

if (isCygwin()) {
    # Copy WebKitSupportLibrary to the correct location in WebKitLibraries so it can be found.
    # Will fail if WebKitSupportLibrary.zip is not in source root.
    (system("perl WebKitTools/Scripts/update-webkit-support-libs") == 0) or die;
}

# Force re-link of existing libraries if different than expected
removeLibraryDependingOnSVG("WebCore", $svgSupport);

# Build, and abort if the build fails.
for my $dir (@projects) {
    chdir $dir or die;
    my $result = 0;
    if (isGtk()) {
        if ($dir ne "WebKit") {
            chdir ".." or die;
            next;
        }

        $result = buildQMakeGtkProject($dir, $colorSupport);
    } elsif (isQt()) {
        if ($dir ne "WebKit") {
            chdir ".." or die;
            next;
        }
        $result = buildQMakeProject($dir, $colorSupport);
    } elsif (isOSX()) {
        $result = system "xcodebuild", "-project", "$dir.xcodeproj", @options, $overrideFeatureDefinesString, @coverageSupportOption, @ARGV;
    } elsif (isCygwin()) {
        if ($dir eq "WebKit") {
            $result = buildVisualStudioProject("win/WebKit.vcproj/WebKit.sln");
        }
    }

    exit WEXITSTATUS($result) if WEXITSTATUS($result);
    chdir ".." or die;
}

# Write out congratulations message.

my $launcherPath = launcherPath();
my $launcherName = launcherName();

print "\n";
print "===========================================================\n";
print " WebKit is now built. To run $launcherName with this newly-built\n";
print " code, use the \"$launcherPath\" script.\n";
if ($svgSupport) {
    print "\n NOTE: WebKit has been built with SVG support enabled.\n";
    print " $launcherName will have SVG viewing capabilities.\n";
}
if ($svgExperimentalSupport) {
    print "\n NOTE: WebKit has been built with experimental SVG features enabled.\n";
    print " Your build supports basic animation, filters, foreignObject & use support.\n";
}