[webkit-dev] Re: ProjectVision

Alp Toker alp at atoker.com
Mon Nov 26 12:14:35 PST 2007

Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Friday 23 November 2007 18:31:41 Alp Toker wrote:
>> http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/wiki/ProjectVision?action=diff&versi
>> on=1
>>
>> Please revert this change until the topic has been discussed on the
>> mailing list or bug tracker. You can't just make up a project vision
>> like that.
>
> Apart from that name of the page what do you think about the content itself?

I thought nobody was going to ask :-)

It sounds mostly like hot air to me.

"algorithm to obtain commit and review rights"? I'm sure Apple will
agree with any request to give developers having a good track record and
cohesion with the rest of the team commit and review status. There is an
element of discretion here and I don't think you can just derive a
formula for these decisions.

I kind of like the charisma of Surfin' Safari (which evolved from Dave
Hyatt's blog, right?) and think it would be a shame to see it turn into
another blog aggregator.

http://planet.webkit.org/ would be neat though. I can get on the case
and set this up if we all agree here.

Versioning is a technical matter rather than a "vision" issue. I'm sure
we can develop a system for sharing versioning information with a little
help from Mark.

Release schedules, on the other hand, are a complex and contentious
topic. A friend once remarked that working on WebKit TOT is "like
sitting on a volcano" which occasionally hurls out new features and
releases. Again, I think that this needn't be a "vision" issue but
rather a whole new thread of discussion.

At the end of the day, the Qt port is going to want to align with Qt
releases, GTK+ is going to want to align with the GNOME platform and
Apple is going to match OS X, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.