[webkit-dev] Re: Moving away from qmake (aka. modularising JavaScriptCore)

Alp Toker alp at atoker.com
Mon Nov 12 20:22:36 PST 2007

Mike Emmel wrote:
> I refactored all the Unicode handling to run behind a abstract interface.
> So no direct ICU calls.
>
> Its a lot of little patches all over the place and a thankless job.
> Its a lot of work so email me if your interested.
>
> I was also looking at repacling icu with glib/pango.
>
> Its not clear you get everything you need from glib so I believe you
> have to bring in pango
> which does more than you want.  Pango itself needs to be split into text metrics
> and glyph drawing.

It's also worth mentioning the new HarfBuzz library:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/HarfBuzz

It's pretty simple to follow the API if you check out the git
repository. It's done in the style of FreeType which is kind of cute.

HarfBuzz can certainly be used to do some of the text handling in WebCore.