[webkit-dev] Re: Focus traversal question

Oleg Sukhodolsky Oleg.Sukhodolsky at Sun.COM
Mon Nov 12 06:21:28 PST 2007

Alp Toker wrote:
> Artem Ananiev wrote:
>> Hi, Alp,
>>
>> sorry for a slight delay with the answer. I'm not working with GTK
>> port, but rather investigating the possibility of new Java port, on
>> windows, linux and solaris platforms.
>
> Artem,
>
> For what it's worth, we (informally) evaluated the option of a native
> CLR port as part of the Mono project.
>
> It turns out that while it might be feasible to port some of WebCore to
> a managed runtime in the space of a few months, the true value of WebKit
> is that it's an evolving code base with a brilliant and responsive team
> of devoted core developers, something that is lost when you deviate too
> far from the existing architecture. So you end up with a browser that no
> longer gets essential site compatibility fixes or support for new Web
> standards unless you recruit a whole new development team.

Hi Alp,

I think you misunderstood Artem, "java port" doesn't means "rewrite
WebKit in Java".  Java provides just one more widget toolkit, so "java
port" is the same as qt/gtk port.

Regards, Oleg.