[webkit-dev] Moving away from qmake

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Mon Nov 12 04:14:12 PST 2007

> If we cannot reach a conclusion, the GTK+ port will most likely go
> ahead and switch to autotools.

I'm one person with a highly niche port, but for what its worth I'd
support a move to autotools.

I'm doing a port to AROS, which currently means cross-building WebKit on
Linux. I opted to use qmake because it was the easiest one to get set up
in a hurry (I have a little GTK+ experience so I could see how to cobble
together what I needed from the gtk-port stuff). Getting the
cross-compile happening is a bit of a hack though, and qmake docs are
rather thin.

If qmake is as hard to get hold of as you say (I don't actually know, my
distribution had it packaged), then I really don't want to put that on
my developers. Besides, eventually we will want to be able to develop
WebKit natively on AROS. Its highly non-POSIX, but we already have ports
of most of the tools need to do configure stuff. Since QT is not
something we'll ever need, a port isn't likely to appear.

Also cross-building is something I already know how to do with
autotools, which will mean less effort for me getting it set up.

2c.

Cheers,
Rob.